Black Excellence

As we review the state of of American culture, many things come to mind.  Our economy, especially for our urban communities, has changed. We see more people creating heinous acts as a form of rebellion against a system that has promised us so much, but given us so little.  We are forced to deal with confinement, marginalization, and racism as a way of life. What are we going to do? Where are we headed from here? These are questions that I frequently ask myself as I work to coexist and remain productive in this so called, “land of the free.”  Through it all I am compelled to resight the words of the great Frederick Douglass, “ without struggle there is know progress.” But how much is to much? Depending on who you have a conversation with, these answers may vary, but I have chosen to celebrate our history and growth, as we move forward.  I truly believe this is the answer, as we continue to strive for what I heard Sean Combs refer to as, “Black Excellence.”

I asked myself the other day, what is, “Black Excellence?”  Is it the way you wear your skully? Or is it the way your braids look after their completed? Is it the way you greet one of the homies when he tells you he just purchased his first home?  I’m not sure what it is, but I recognize it when I see it. Upon preparing for this article, I reached out to my editor, Mr. A.J. Woodson. I asked, “what do we need to address, as we move forward?”  Mr. Woodson told me to speak from my heart and soul about the black community. As a Westchester County resident, I am witness to the struggles of our urban communities, these environments are deemed by many as contemporary paradises or economically advantaged communities.  Although I know better, I understand that the span of Westchester County is quite big, my goal is to have more conversations with people of color in areas like Irvington, Pleasantville, and Purchase. I believe that these conversations have the potential to provide answers, as we work to heal a system that has discouraged and scarred many.  In this way, our voices will provide substance through patience and understanding. My greatest fear is that our urban communities will become divided through the inability to compromise as we sit at the table.

Subsequently “Black Excellence,” can also be measured through our approach to community enlightenment.  The ability to participate through mentorship and service in the community should not be underestimated.  “Black Excellence.” can also be described as a form of exercising your voice in the community. The ability to speak up when things are not right, or the ability to shake your neighbors hand for a job well done, should be one in the same.  We should never succumb to a “crab in the barrel,” mentality if we are truly striving for, “Black Excellence.” As I view urban communities in 2018, I see how the World Wide Web has given urban communities greater access to information. As a teenager in High School, an encyclopedia was a welcome addition to our den’s bookshelf.  Now we all have encyclopedias on our laptops, cell phones, and tablets, yet many of us lack the ingenuity to get the most out of them, in regard to producing “Black Excellence,” in our communities. Yes, I believe that technology will play an intricate part in evolving Black Excellence in our urban communities. We just have to figure out how we wanna do it.

This process of development is probably not going to happen overnight, but I believe it’s important to create awareness.  Awareness through mentorship and service in the community, as mentioned earlier, would be ideal. Organizing people on a grassroot level is always key, especially as we facilitate conversations about, “Black Excellence.”  I believe it’s important to continue to monitor the pulse of the next generation, as they also have the responsibility of representing, “Black Excellence.” I believe that the youth in our urban communities represent a different kind of American reality.  Although they have dreams and goals like youth in all cultures, we must guide them to make the correct decisions as they strive for, “Black Excellence.” Let’s face it, for any form of, “Black Excellence,” to manifest itself, some type of protocol or game plan has to be applied.  Otherwise we run the risk of wasting time, submitting to peer pressure, and building our dreams on false hope. I understand that this is all part of growth, but I also identify “Black Excellence,” with communities that foster and guide from within, to eliminate costly mistakes.

On another note, I would like to celebrate the people of color who won recent Oscars.  Although many of us shun these ceremonies as paganistic celebrations. We should aspire to applaud the achievements of Chance the rapper, Kobe Bryant, and Jordan Peele, as a form of, “Black Excellence.”  This approach also lends to preservation, as we celebrate the historical achievements of past Oscar winners such as Jamie Foxx, Jennifer Hudson, and Forest Whitaker. In this way, we promote and cultivate a system built on, “torches being passed.”  In my opinion, this would solidify the term, “Black Excellence,” not only as a term we attach to goals being accomplished, but as a term we have adapted to as, “A Way Of Life.”