Justice Through A Mocking Bird

photo by Jeff Suttles

Greetings Brothas & Sistas,

I know, I’ve been away for a while; I started working with the New York City Department of Education, hopefully I’ll be able to create change from the inside, as I work to be as effective as possible, in my new role.  I actually attended a production of To Kill A Mocking Bird, with my 10th grade class a few weeks ago.  This was the first of its kind, since Madison Square Garden has never hosted a live production of this sort before. Ultimately I was excited about being part of history and being invited to attend a Broadway play.

The stage was set for a great day in education.  Mayor Bill de Blasio and his wife Chirlane McCray kicked the event off with inspiring words for over 18,000 New York City public school students.  Spike Lee followed them up with inspiring words and memories of his mom forcing him to check out Broadway plays as a youngster.  The message behind the play seems to have set well with New York City students.  The story of how a man could be accused of a crime that he didn’t commit, is all too familiar to our culture.  Hopefully this event will serve as a plea to destroy injustice, and create equality, not just in New York City, but throughout the world.  Talk to you guys soon.

Peace & Blessings