BACK 2 SCHOOL 2018

It’s about that time of the year again. Although my personal projects are mounting up, I feel compelled to speak about some of the social issues that continue to contribute to injustice in our communities. I believe that in the true spirit ‘Humanities Heart,’ not only are we responsible to speak up for ourselves, but we must also speak up for the future of urban infrastructure, and our responsibility to create sustainability through our culture.

First of all I must speak about some of the positive events I was able to be apart of this summer, such as Juneteenth with Dr. Barber and Dr. Forbes. Dr. Barber reminded us that many of us are, NOT GETTING THE MEMO! I also attended another graduation with Omar Freilla and Green Worker Cooperatives. I felt exhilarated, as I witnessed another group of entrepreneurs prepare to build from the inside to create change on the outside. I also attended a seminar hosted by Chris Edmin and Teachers College, Columbia University. As I witnessed these young people combine hip-hop and science, I sat in the auditorium both inspired and amazed. I believe that an event like this captures the true essence of creativity, which eventually will conceive progressive growth throughout our communities.

These are a few events that come time mind as I search for motivation in the mist of current disparities. Situations like the Brooklyn nail salon incident, the Dashawn McGrier beat down, and the unfortunate fate of Kalief Browder, have me in a state of uncertainty, wondering about the safety my friends and family. I not sure if it’s normal to feel this way, but I hope that we are moving closer to the solutions rather than agitating the problems.

Send me your replies; OUR VOICES ARE STRONGER TOGETHER!